Director of Marketing and Communications
Department: Marketing and Development
Reports To: Chief Advancement Officer
Status: Full-time, exempt
Position Description Summary: The Director of Marketing and Communications will proactively, strategically, and creatively advance DOROT’s visibility, reputation, and relevance, particularly in the field of aging and volunteer engagement.
The Director will broaden our reach, deepen engagement, and inspire the public and community to give, engage, and volunteer. This person will also develop, integrate, and implement a broad range portfolio of communications, public relations, media, and community engagement tools and practices.
This newly created position is ideal for an innovative and agile Marketing and Communications professional to advance DOROT’s mission. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing marketing, communications, social media, and public relations through:
- Raising DOROT’s profile via traditional and digital media platforms.
- Crafting comprehensive and distinctive marketing campaigns that exceed constituent expectations.
- Elevating DOROT’s brand and visibility as an innovative and engaged community partner.
- Deftly collaborating with internal and external partners to achieve objectives within timelines and budget.
- Lead and oversee the development and execution of donor communication messaging and strategy as well as all marketing materials.
- Serve as lead for collateral creation, including oversight of graphic design and video production for individual programs and departments.
- Manage website by creating and updating all content while analyzing site data to track and improve content reach.
- Manage social media presence by creating and updating content across multiple platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Develop and manage our blog to engage with donors, identify donors with an interest in our mission, and ultimately connect them to opportunities to give back.
- Analyze social media platform data to track and improve content reach.
- Develop and execute regular electronic communications.
- Develop annual marketing, communications and public relations plans.
- Analyze the impact of communications, advertising, and public relations effectiveness.
- Develop and sustain successful relationships with DOROT staff and external partners.
- Other duties as assigned by the CAO
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 7-10 years of experience in marketing communications, public relations, or journalism
- Demonstrated supervisory skills
- Demonstrated track record of positioning an organization to achieve measurable outcomes in a competitive communications environment
- Knowledge of a variety of mass and alternative media
- Expertise in the fundamentals of multiple disciplines, including the principles and ethics of public relations, promotion, marketing, business communication, planning, and budgeting
- Ability to simultaneously lead multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time pressure with minimal supervision
- Strong negotiation, collaboration, time management, organization and interpersonal skills
- Excellent promotional and communications skills
- Extensive writing and editing experience with skills in a variety of print and online communications media
- Ability to identify mutually beneficial partnerships through sponsorships and cause marketing
- Demonstrated use of social media to engage and deepen relationships with the media and public
- Excellent judgement and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Familiarity with the field of aging, social isolation, volunteerism and/or intergenerational programming is a plus
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office software is essential (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)