Department: Community Services (CS)
Reports To: Director of Community Services
Status: Full-Time, non-exempt
If you would like to be part of this vital community agency, send a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements via email to Judy Logan at email@example.com
Position Summary: The Program Assistant plays an integral role in the Community Services team by interacting with clients by phone and on-site, tracking, monitoring, and collecting program participation and related client and volunteer interactions. The ideal candidate is passionate about working with and improving life for older adults; is highly organized and detail oriented; and possesses a “can-do” attitude. S/he will also provide administrative and programmatic support to these and other key programs, including but not limited to:
Door to Door (see below)
Kosher Meals for the Homebound
Days of Beauty
The Program Assistant will also provide key support to DOROT’s Door to Door (“DtoD”) program. DtoD helps seniors extend their ability to live safely at home by providing trained professional Travel Companions to accompany them to medical and other appointments, and to shop for or with them. The Program Assistant will help support day-to-day operations of the program by responding to older adults’ requests for appointments and coordinating the Travel Companions schedules. The ideal candidate has experience with older adults, excellent customer service and verbal communication skills and has a track record of creative problem solving under pressure.
Primary Community Services Responsibilities:
- Support the CS team with client outreach, contact, and program/project follow-up.
- Coordinate, support, and keep a record of client outreach efforts via email/mail or in person.
- Assist with special projects and events/workshops both at DOROT and in the community, and serve as liaison to related community partners.
- Maintain inventory of and disseminate program materials.
- Monitor the senior assessment referral file and report to directors on progress/needs.
- Liaise with DOROT social work staff to understand client needs and challenges.
- Partner with other departments on new program offerings, helping to recruit clients and make travel arrangements for them when needed.
- Help with pre- and post-event logistics, planning for package deliveries and other intergenerational programming; this includes a commitment to work at least four Sundays per year.
- Conduct surveys with seniors via phone.
- Act as back-up support for the DOROT’s receptionist upon request.
- Collect, track and maintain client activity using DOROT’s online Salesforce database (CIMS); this involves routine data entry and monthly review of statistics for both internal reports and analysis of trends.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Primary Responsibilities for Door-to-Door:
- Scheduling: Schedule Travel Companions to accompany older adults to medical appointments and shopping trips. Respond to a high volume of phone requests for appointments. Maintain Travel Companions’ calendars to reflect current schedule.
- Trouble-shooting: Problem solve when issues arise with Travel Companions and clients, such as making last minute calendar changes, arranging transportation, and facilitating communication between the involved parties. This may include making changes to the schedule before/after office hours.
- Record keeping: Maintain and track client participation information using the agency’s data management system (Salesforce platform).
- Back-up Travel Companion: Fill in for absent Travel Companions on an as-needed, emergency basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned: Provide support to DOROT’s other departments and programs as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience engaging with and relating to older adults
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and respond to the needs of older adults
- Familiarity with New York City geography and transportation
- Ability to multi task, prioritize assignments, stay organized, and be detail oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other staff
- Availability to work from 10 a.m. 6 pm
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010, particularly Excel; experience with Salesforce a plus
- Minimum of two years professional administrative or program experience preferred