Department: Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP)
Reports To: Associate Director/Director of Aftercare
Status: 15-22 hours per week total; includes Thursday afternoons/evenings, Sunday afternoons and another set day mutually agreed upon.
Program Overview: DOROT’s Homelessness Prevention Program is a 14-bed transitional housing program with Aftercare services for homeless and at-risk older adults. The HPP provides a range of critical services to current and former residents including onsite meals and food, case management to secure government benefits and health and mental health services, and relocation assistance. Our Aftercare Program provides former residents with a lifelong connection to DOROT and the supports needed to enhance the health and well-being and prevent reoccurrence of homelessness. Through vital partnerships between our professional staff, social work interns and dedicated volunteers, HPP’s programs and services build social connections and facilitate a community of mutual support.
Position Summary: The Program Assistant is an integral member of the HPP team, assisting with a range of tasks that support facility and program operations as well as the well-being and social engagement of older adult clients. Central to the Program Assistant’s role is coordinating and delivering the HPP’s Sunday Social program which includes a communal meal and cultural, recreational, or social activities. The Program Assistant works directly with HPP clients and supports volunteers who help us achieve our mission and deliver programs of excellence. This is an exciting part-time opportunity to contribute to an impactful program to address the needs of homeless and formerly homeless older adults, and to alleviate social isolation and build community.
- Plan and implement weekly Sunday Social programs to foster community and social engagement among current and former residents; this includes both onsite programs and social outings
- Conduct telephone intake with older adults to determine eligibility for HPP services and provide information and referral
- Oversee the cell phone program for clients including ordering phones and minutes and providing client training and/or supervising volunteers to provide basic cell phone training
- Assist with meal preparation and maintaining cleanliness of kitchen/community room
- Coordinate and support volunteers
- Collect, track and maintain data and related client interactions and program participation using DOROT’s database
- Assist residents moving into the HPP and to their housing placement
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree minimum with at least two years of work experience with older adults, homeless people or other at-risk populations. College or graduate students enrolled in related educational programs, e.g. Social Work, Psychology, etc. are welcome to apply.
- Excellent verbal and other communication skills to engage with, actively listen and respond appropriately to older adults
- Ability to identify client challenges and communicate them to supervisor
- Physical capacity to walk distances while supporting a senior
- English language proficiency
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Proficiency with Android or IOS platforms
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and basic Excel)