Department: Volunteer Services (VS)
Reports To: Manager of Volunteer Services
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
If you would like to be part of this vital community agency, send a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements via email to Judy Logan at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Volunteer Services Department: Volunteers are central to DOROT. We leverage volunteers across all levels of the organization to successfully deliver on our social mission. Each year, we mobilize 6000+ volunteers of all ages through a wide array of programs conducted on-site, in the home, and in the community. We engage college students, young professionals, retirees, corporate volunteers, and individuals looking to make a difference. Through personal contact with seniors, our volunteers help deliver vital services and forge bonds between the generations.
Position Summary: The Program Assistant is an essential team member in Volunteer Services, supporting all major programmatic initiatives. This position supports the overall administrative needs of a variety of long-standing, volunteer-driven events. This portfolio includes DOROT’s largest community events that each engages 800+ volunteers who visit 600+ clients through our Holiday Package Deliveries and Thanksgiving Celebration (which takes place on the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving). Two other programs in the portfolio involve coordinating volunteers who escort older adults on cemetery visits and supporting a group of 20+ Office Volunteers.
The Program Assistant also plays an important role in greeting and welcoming volunteers at events and on a daily basis at DOROT. This will include training and supervising office volunteers and interns ensuring that they have appropriate and meaningful tasks.
As a key member of the Volunteer Services team, the Program Assistant will also take on new responsibilities and duties as needed to support DOROT’s programs.
The ideal candidate is interested in nonprofit management or volunteerism and passionate about working with and improving life for older adults. Also vital are excellent customer service skills; strong organizational skills, attention to detail and a “can-do” attitude.
This position is a great opportunity for a candidate who wants to learn about project planning and volunteer management.
The Program Assistant will perform a variety of administrative tasks to promote the success of Volunteer Services programs including but not limited to:
- Serving as a vital resource to staff, volunteers and seniors who have questions about or are involved with Volunteer Services programs
- Organizing and sending large-scale mailings to clients and e-mails to volunteers to provide information about program opportunities;
- Conducting phone outreach to recruit program participants and confirm their enrollment;
- Registering clients and volunteers for programs using DOROT’s database;
- Responding to a variety of questions about programming from clients, volunteers and DOROT staff;
- Surveying program participants to get feedback;
- Providing logistical support for events (overseeing set-up, inventorying, ordering and ensuring receipt of supplies and materials, and documenting expenses);
- Maintaining and tracking client and volunteer information using DOROT’s database; and,
- Ensuring accurate data entry and reporting on program participation
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Manager and /or Director
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Professional experience and/or internships in direct service nonprofit organizations working with older adults and/or volunteers
- Volunteer experience
- Comfort and ease with older adults
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with the ability to multitask, prioritize, and be detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team members
- Availability to work occasional evening hours and 4-6 Sundays for scheduled programs
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010, particularly Excel; experience with Salesforce a plus.