Department: Community Services, Door to Door Program
Reports to: Director of Community Services
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
If you would like to be part of this vital community agency, send a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements via email to Judy Logan at email@example.com
Position Description: DOROT’s Travel Companions serve our senior clients in the most profound way offering physical and emotional support to help them safely travel to and from medical, chronic care management, therapy and other essential appointments, and ensuring their well-being during waits.
Travel Companions also assist clients with grocery shopping and other errands, and accompany them on walks upon request. Responsibilities include appointment and case note entry into DOROT’s online client database, and other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate enjoys interacting with older adults, possesses exceptional and appropriate interpersonal skills, exercises excellent judgment, and is conscientious and patient.
- High School Degree
- Two years of work experience with older adults
- Ability to engage with, listen to, and respond appropriately to older adults
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to assess, recognize, and appreciate the distinct needs of clients, and react appropriately
- Ability to identify client challenges and communicate them to supervisor
- Physical ability to walk distances while providing additional support to a senior (for example: walking arm in arm, or pushing a wheelchair-bound senior)
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Familiarity and comfort utilizing public, taxi, and private transportation in Manhattan
- Must be available to work Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Proficiency with using a smartphone to text, update calendar, and access the Internet
- English language proficiency
- Proficiency with Android or iOS platforms
- Knowledge of MS Office 2010 programs