Occasional Adult Volunteer Opportunities - Response Team
At Your Service
- Receive weekly email alerts from DOROT to assist seniors as needs arise (e.g. run an errand, organize paperwork, escort to medical appointment, shopping assistance, etc.).
DOROT has two different opportunities for volunteers who want to help seniors improve their technology skills.
You can sign up for our new One-to-One Technology Coaching Program where you will visit a client at home and teach them new computer/smartphone/tablet skills using a specially designed curriculum. The time commitment is 3-4 hours of coaching per client for two clients from May-August plus a training session at DOROT. Click here to learn more about this program.
Or, you can sign up for our Computer Tutors Program and visit clients to answer computer and smartphone questions on an ad hoc basis. To learn more, please sign up for a volunteer orientation. Click here for a list of upcoming orientations and other events.
Both programs offer flexible scheduling. Volunteers should be comfortable with technology, but no special expertise is required.
Accompany a Senior to Cultural Events
- Visit a museum or see a movie with a DOROT senior.
- Accompany a senior to an event at DOROT such as an afternoon concert, sing-along, or museum lecture.
Funded in part by Marcia Speinson.
Monthly Friendly Visiting (12 months commitment)
Interview, training, references, and background check are required.
- Volunteers are matched with seniors for monthly visits, including a phone call each month, for a minimum of a year in the senior's home.
- Matches are made by a DOROT social worker based on mutual interests, availability and location.
- Buy groceries and visit the home of a senior to cook and eat a meal together.
Accompany a Senior to the Cemetery
- Accompany a senior to visit the gravesite of a loved one.
- Cemeteries are located in the greater metropolitan area and transportation is provided by DOROT.
All volunteers must attend an orientation session, complete an application, provide references and agree to a background check. To register for a group orientation, please select one of the dates below.
To get started volunteering, attend one of our upcoming orientations by registering here:
Register For Adult Volunteer Orientation
Please select from the drop down menu below