School Year Internship
Throughout the year, DOROT welcomes approximately 100 high school students to participate in our teen internship programs, where their community service is both valuable and needed. Interns receive training and supervision and volunteer in small groups to connect and help older New Yorkers. Through a variety of hands-on experiences in the community and onsite at DOROT, interns develop leadership skills and provide meaningful social connections with older adults.
Winter/Spring Session: February 4 - May 23
• 1 day a week (Monday — Thursday)
• 2 hours a day (after school — no later than 4:00-6:00pm)
Teen Interns may:
What expenses are associated with the program?
- Visit clients in their home for companionship
- Coach clients to use computer, iPads and other types of technology
- Play chess, cards, scrabble, and other games with clients
- Deliver birthday cakes
- Participate and lead a weekly intergenerational discussion group of current issues
- Assist with on-site programs and administrative need
There is no charge to intern with DOROT. Interns are expected to cover their own travel expenses and should plan to use their metro cards 2 times a day. Stipends are available toward travel costs.
Application for the Winter/Spring semester is now closed.
"I didn't expect to have such a close relationship with the senior I visited every week. I like that I formed a relationship with someone who I never would have met otherwise. Participating in special DOROT events also helped me develop confidence and leadership skills. Specifically tech visits forced me to solve problems and figure out how to accomplish what older adults need help with. I liked being able to help out and also meet other teens. It (teen internship) is a really unique experience; I’m now more aware of the problems and needs of older adults."
- Winter/Spring 2018 Intern