Gain leadership skills through a rigorous, unique and meaningful internship experience. Learn how to facilitate intergenerational programs and then enjoy them as a participant! DOROT is thrilled to launch its third Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program at the Shorefront Y in Brighton Beach. As a volunteer, you’ll have the extraordinary opportunity to intern with a group of peers to connect with and learn from older adults who are affiliated with the Shorefront Y and Brighton Beach area NORCs.
Interns do not need to be fluent in Russian but should have comprehension of conversational Russian.
The internship will be a hybrid; two to three days a week in-person and one or two days will be virtual. Interns will need to travel to their internship location.
Applications are now open for Summer 2023!
*This program is eligible for the Summer Youth Employment Program. Find out more here.
Overview of Summer 2023:
- July 24th - Aug 17th, 4 weeks
- Monday-Thursday, from 10:00am-4:30pm
- This program welcomes teens who identify as Jewish, or who have a parent or grandparent who identifies as Jewish
- Note: Summer Interns are expected to volunteer for at least 15 hours with DOROT and/or the Shorefront Y during the academic year following the summer
View the teen's video on what’s involved with visiting elders in their home:
Teen Interns will:
- Explore social justice and Jewish communal connections within the context of volunteering
- Facilitate online intergenerational classes on short-fiction, arts & crafts and poetry
- Engage in interactive game activities with older adults such as cards and backgammon.
- Facilitate a weekly conversational English class for Russian-speaking older adults
- Teach seniors how to use Google platforms
- Join a knitting circle
- Lead a weekly, intergenerational teleconference discussion group on current issues
- Participate in a weekly virtual intergenerational class on "Jewish Perspectives on Important Issues in the News"
- Have the opportunity to plan, run and implement intergenerational
This exciting program is a partnership between DOROT and Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton - Manhattan Beach, Inc.
DOROT's Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program is jointly funded by UJA-Federation of New York and the Jim Joseph Foundation. The Jewish Education Project serves as lead operator of the Initiative.