Gain leadership skills through a rigorous, unique and meaningful internship experience. Learn how to facilitate intergenerational programs and then enjoy them as a participant! DOROT is thrilled to launch its third Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program at the Shorefront Y in Brighton Beach. As a volunteer, you’ll have the extraordinary opportunity to intern with a group of peers to connect with and learn from older adults who are affiliated with the Shorefront Y and Brighton Beach area NORCs. Interns must be bilingual in English and Russian.
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and in an effort to ensure the health and safety of all of our participants the DOROT Summer Teen Internship Program at the Shorefront Y will operate this summer as a virtual program.
Early admission deadline is Sunday, March 14. General applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until Friday, May 7. If spaces fill before the deadline, applications will close.
Overview of Summer 2020:
- July 27-August 17
- Monday-Thursday, from 9:30am-4:00pm
- This program welcomes teens who identify as Jewish, or who have a parent or grandparent who identifies as Jewish
- Note: Summer Interns are expected to volunteer for at least 15 hours with DOROT and/or the Shorefront Y during the academic year following the summer
View the teen's video on what’s involved with visiting elders in their home:
Teen Interns will:
- Explore social justice and Jewish communal connections within the context of volunteering
- Facilitate online intergenerational classes on short-fiction, arts & crafts and poetry
- Engage in interactive activities with older adults such as chess and Scrabble
- Facilitate a weekly online conversational English class for Russian-speaking older adults
- Teach seniors how to use technology
- Join a virtual knitting circle
- Lead a weekly, intergenerational teleconference discussion group on current issues
- Participate in a weekly virtual intergenerational class on "Jewish Perspectives on Important Issues in the News"
- Have the opportunity to plan, run and implement intergenerational programs using video and telephone platforms
This exciting program is a partnership between DOROT and Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton - Manhattan Beach, Inc.
DOROT's Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program is jointly funded by UJA-Federation of New York and the Jim Joseph Foundation. The Jewish Education Project serves as lead operator of the Initiative.