Looking for a meaningful internship this summer? DOROT is pleased to partner with the Riverdale Y to bring our Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program to the Bronx. As an intern, you’ll have the extraordinary opportunity to learn how to facilitate intergenerational programs as you connect with and learn from other high school students and older adults from the Riverdale Y Senior Center.
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and in an effort to ensure the health and safety of all of our participants the DOROT Riverdale Summer Teen Internship Program will operate this summer as a virtual program.
Overview of Summer 2020:
- July 20-August 13, 2020
- Mondays-Thursdays from 9:30am-4:00pm
- This program welcomes teens who identify as Jewish, or who have a parent or grandparent who identifies as Jewish
- Note: Summer Interns are expected to volunteer for at least 15 hours with DOROT and/or the Riverdale Y during the academic year following the summer
View the teen's video, Learn more about a Day in the Life of a DOROT Summer Teen Intern at the Riverdale Y:
Teen Interns will:
- Explore social justice and Jewish communal connections within the context of volunteering
- Facilitate online intergenerational classes on current events, arts & crafts and improv games
- Engage in online interactive games and activities with older adults such as chess and Scrabble
- Virtually assist seniors in learning how to use technology
- Lead a weekly intergenerational discussion group via teleconference on topical issues
- Participate in a weekly online intergenerational class on "Jewish Perspectives on Important Issues in the News"
- Have the opportunity to plan, run and implement intergenerational programs using video and telephone platforms
This exciting program is a partnership between DOROT and The Riverdale YM-YWHA.
DOROT's Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program is jointly funded by UJA-Federation of New York and the Jim Joseph Foundation. The Jewish Education Project serves as lead operator of the Initiative.