Looking for a meaningful internship this summer? DOROT is pleased to partner with the Riverdale Y to bring our Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program to the Bronx. As an intern, you’ll have the extraordinary opportunity to learn how to facilitate intergenerational programs as you connect with and learn from other high school students and older adults from the Riverdale Y Senior Center.
If possible, the program will include in-person indoor and outdoor teen-only group gatherings one day a week, masked with 3-feet social distancing. Otherwise, the entire internship will run virtually
General applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until May 27. If spaces fill before the deadline, applications will close.
Overview of Summer 2021:
- July 27-August 19
- Mondays-Thursdays from 9:30am-4:00pm
- This program welcomes teens who identify as Jewish, or who have a parent or grandparent who identifies as Jewish
- Note: Summer Interns are expected to volunteer for at least 15 hours with DOROT and/or the Riverdale Y during the academic year following the summer
View the teen's video, Learn more about a Day in the Life of a DOROT Summer Teen Intern at the Riverdale Y:
Teen Interns will:
- Explore social justice and Jewish communal connections within the context of volunteering
- Facilitate online intergenerational classes on current events, arts & crafts and improv games
- Engage in online interactive games and activities with older adults such as chess and Scrabble
- Virtually assist seniors in learning how to use technology
- Lead a weekly intergenerational discussion group via teleconference on topical issues
- Participate in a weekly online intergenerational class on "Jewish Perspectives on Important Issues in the News"
- Have the opportunity to plan, run and implement intergenerational programs using video and telephone platforms
This exciting program is a partnership between DOROT and The Riverdale YM-YWHA.
DOROT's Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program is jointly funded by UJA-Federation of New York and the Jim Joseph Foundation. The Jewish Education Project serves as lead operator of the Initiative.